Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Should I get weighed every day?

Many years ago a personal training client of mine who eventually became a very close girlfriend revealed to me that as a teenager her mother made her get weighed everyday. She went on to tell me that she remembered this ritual like it was yesterday and that many of her eating, food and self esteem issues all revolved around that 3-5 minutes a day. Because of this she was paralyzed for many years and isolated herself from the outside world as it was hard for her to socialize and that her fear of overeating in public overwhelmed her. It seemed that her mother would constantly tell her that she needed to be thin in order to get a boyfriend and that men did not want fat women as wives, so her solution to thinness was to have her get weighed daily. Yes, that would do it! That was over 45 years ago but somehow today this thinking has not changed. Not the boyfriend or husband part but the part as to why we allow those numbers to dictate us and for most women they do. We live in a society where the majority of women still believe that what we weigh is our biggest problem and that somehow when we overcome those dreaded extra pounds life will get peachy and the marriage proposals will come flooding our front door. Today in most circles the underlying message is clear, be thin at any cost. But I ask, what is that cost? Most times it is emotional and mental torture. My friend talked to me extensively about her issues with food and that food was certainly not the nourishment she needed but the enemy that robbed her a healthy life. Now while you might say that this is an extreme case I ask you to think about your own eating and food issues. Do they revolve around getting weighed daily, once a week, once a month of perhaps you do not get weighed? For some women getting weighed it still a mental ritual, have good weigh in day, I feel great, a bad weigh in day, I feel horrible and I binge might even be on the horizon.. Think I am wrong, go sit in any controlled weight loss group such as weight watchers  and observe the members once they come off of the scale. Now I have nothing against weight watchers and I am talking about every women as there are some who have accepted that we are all not going to be a thin but we can all be healthy without letting the scale rule us.  Wherever you stand on this podium the fact remains that most women are ruled by the what they weigh and that list of reasons goes on and on. Although I have not seen my friend for quite some time as our lives took different paths  I sometimes wonder if she got the help she needed, or if she is still ruled by those 3 numbers on that  aluminum flatbed. So, when should you get weighed? That is up to you and while I have nothing against getting weighed just do not let it dictate who you are and rule your life! Have a blessed day!





.

1 comment: