Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mental Barriers to Exercise

We’ve all heard it a million times: If you want to lose weight, just eat less and
move more.

It sounds so simple.

So why don’t the 103 million overweight American women just do it? There is interesting new research out of Temple University that helps to explain why this advice is difficult for many women to follow.

The study, by the Center for Obesity Research and Education and the Department of Kinesiology at Temple University, followed 278 obese women who were part of a year long program encouraging them to become active. The study found that these women reported serious mental barriers to regular exercise.

1. Feeling self-conscious.
2. Not wanting to fail.
3. Fearing injury.
4. Perceived poor health.
5. Having minor aches and pains.
6. Feeling too overweight to exercise.

There are probably lots of people who can’t relate to these feelings, but I know plenty of larger women who can. I remember clearly feeling that way. I was paralyzed at over 300 pounds. I was embarrassed – afraid I’d make a fool out of myself walking into a gym. I didn’t want to be laughed at. As one of my clients put it “Nobody wants to be the fat girl on the treadmill.”

Then there is the fear of failure. Will I make it through a cardio class? Will I be able to do the moves? After feeling like a complete failure at dieting over the years – I didn’t want to add another failure to my list. I didn’t think I was entitled to work out when I was so big.

Physical concerns also play a part. It’s not hard to begin thinking of yourself as weak when you’re a plus size woman. You don’t want to get hurt. Am I healthy enough for this? Shouldn’t I lose weight first? And you find yourself thinking “Gee, I already have so many aches and pains - I can’t imagine being more physically uncomfortable.”

The research also showed that programs like ShapelyGirl™ Fitness (which I developed last year), specifically geared to helping women achieve an exercise comfort zone, can be successful. It’s all about getting in the zone and feeling like you can do it. Since I lost my weight through learning to love exercise years ago I have wanted to help create a safe haven for larger women in the world of fitness. I am glad to know that science is finally taking a close look at this need. And I am happy to be part of a common sense solution for women of all sizes who want to get healthy.

Another thing I have learned over the years is that when women have failed on diet after diet they can tend to give up on exercise too easily. Results from working out will be accrued over a long period of time. You can’t jump on a scale to measure the changes. But I always say – if you stick to your fitness goals you will feel the benefits as you make changes that you can live with over a lifetime.

Hugs,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment