Monday, March 21, 2011

Mindful Eating

Last night after teaching my step/toning class I realized that I had not eaten enough food for the day and I was starving. I had so much to do the day before and like a lot of women did not take the time to eat and ignored the fact that I was hungry. By late afternoon, I realized I needed to eat but it was too late as I had a class to teach and did not want to take the chance that I might get sick or weighed down with a full stomach as I rarely eat at least 1 hour before my classes.

By 7:30pm I was famished and decided to GRAB something on the way home. Even for me that could be a big problem. When I have not taken the time to eat properly, driving past pizza parlors, convenience stores and fast-food take-out can be dangerous. As I passed by McDonald’s I remembered seeing the commercials and ads for the ANGUS BURGER that was on their menu. I thought about it and decided I wanted an Angus burger and the convenience of buying it was right in front of me. Now the question became what would I get with it? I knew that if I did not think about the calories, fat and salt content I could really be in trouble. Mentally, I knew that most FAST FOODS places were loaded with calories, fat and salt but I was so hungry that emotionally I really did not care at that moment so I pulled into the parking area and at that moment I told myself to think about my choice before it was too late.

As I waited in the drive-through line something went off in my head and when the girl asked me what I wanted I said “I will have 2 plain burgers for Hannah, my seven year old yellow lab, and one Angus burger with the works for me.” Then as they usually do she said ANYTHING ELSE? You know they say that for a reason…because you might order more. I said to her that is all but to myself I said, I REALLY WANTED FRIES AND A MILKSHAKE to go with my burger.
I pulled up and took my order and as I drove home to eat I told myself that I listened to what I teach and practiced MINDFUL EATING. If you are not sure what mindful eating is, it is taking the time to THINK about the choices you make when ordering out or cooking at home or even food shopping. It allows you the time to really realize you can eat better and not feel so guilty or horrible after perhaps eating too many calories but not making good choices.

Do I practice MINDFUL EATING all of the time? I wish I could say YES but alas I do not. I do have my “eat whatever” moments but thankfully they are rare. However, I have practiced it enough in my journey to remain a size 12 for nearly 25 years!

Mindful eating is a great tool to learn when you are losing weight. It allows YOU to take control of your life and choices. Next time, think before you order…you will be saving hundreds of calories while keeping yourself sane.

Hugs,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment